Update / May 7, 2013: Closing assessment written by Jane Kolonsky, Compliance Officer for the Real Estate Council of British Columbia, in regards to the complaint I filed against Scott Fraser.
"“While it is clear that Mr. Fraser protected his client when he prepared the contract with an inspection clause, it appears Mr. Fraser gave advise upon which Mr. Thompson relied which does not appear to be in the best interest of the client.”
It doesn't get much clearer than this, unfortunately for me in the end this complaint
process relied on 5 active Real Estate Agents whose job it was to rule on the actions of one of their own, which at the end of the day & for reasons unknown, it appears some RECBC (Real Estate Council of British
Columbia) rules are deemed important & others not so important and as such, nothing has come of this assessment & Scott, if he so chooses, is free to recommend to the next person, not to bother with a home inspection on a new home.
The story so far...
Back in February of 2010, acting as my realtor, Scott Fraser (www.scottfraser.ca) of Royal LePage in the Comox Valley, advised me, repeatedly, not to bother with having a home inspection done on a new home I was considering to purchase, for which, at the time Scott gave me this advice, he knew next to nothing about the actual builder (Richard Boedeker of Tiki Construction).
The story so far...
Back in February of 2010, acting as my realtor, Scott Fraser (www.scottfraser.ca) of Royal LePage in the Comox Valley, advised me, repeatedly, not to bother with having a home inspection done on a new home I was considering to purchase, for which, at the time Scott gave me this advice, he knew next to nothing about the actual builder (Richard Boedeker of Tiki Construction).
In fact prior to the actual purchase, I had specifically
asked Scott how many homes Richard Boedeker had built & he said he would
look into this. When Scott got back to me he told me that
this was the first home Boedeker had built in the Valley & from my perspective this made it painfully
obvious that Scott had no prior knowledge of the quality of
Boedeker’s work - but still he somehow felt it was a good idea to dissuade me
from getting a home inspection done.
In this
instance the advice given to forgo having a home inspection, in my opinion, was nothing short of disastrously
bad advice. Had an inspection been done by a
professional home inspector, this would have undoubtedly detected numerous
defects, which would have almost certainly been enough to convince me not to
buy this house. I base this on the fact that later on, when an actual
inspection was undertaken in 2011 by an independent appraiser (hired by Echelon
General Insurance), numerous defects were sited in regards to the exterior
alone.
One thing I would like to make perfectly clear upfront; since Scott did not build this house in no way do I blame him for the actual defects & I accept full responsibility for the decision to purchase this home.
However (my grievance summarized); as his client I would have hoped that throughout our dealings Scott would have always had my best interest in mind, something I personally feel was not the case.
When I look back I can't believe I went along with Scott's suggestion. At the time I had a lot on my plate, I was on the verge of moving from Richmond (BC) to Comox & I was also in the process of setting up a new business. But go along with this advice I did which included signing off on the clause in the contract to do with having a home inspection - Scott told me I had to do this as part of acknowledging that the offer to have a home inspection was declined by me, what a big mistake that was.
Please note; in regards to Jane Kolonsky's assessment noted above, I am rather confused as to who exactly she believes Scott Fraser was "protecting" - from my position if he genuinely had my best interests in mind he would have recommended that I have a home inspection done. Putting a clause in a contract about having a home inspection & then convincing me not to have this inspection, how exactly have I been protected & from what??
Since I purchased this Tiki Construction home, a lengthy list of defects have surfaced related to the construction (including water leaking through to the interior of the siding, running down on to the concrete porch) & as a result of this Echelon Insurance have now authorized an additional $7,000+ worth of warranty repairs towards the building envelope - which was recently written up extensively by two renovation specialists & an engineer from RDH Building Engineering Ltd.
In all, the
last 3 years have seen countless problems with my home which has resulted in
approximately $20,000+ worth of repair work authorized ($13,000 previously + the $7,000 noted above - thankfully covered by home warranty & Cumberland Concrete)
all of which has significantly impacted my life in a negative way. Along the
way hundreds of hours of my time have been eaten up dealing with this mess
& not once has Scott Fraser come out to see what I have been dealing with. In fact after Scott had been paid his commission from the sale of this home
I did not hear from him again until I complained to Royal LePage’s General
Manager (& even then it was only briefly over the phone).
Later on I
complained right to the owner/managing broker of Royal LePage in the Comox
Valley, Gregg Hart, who informed me that Scott Fraser had admitted to him that
he had advised me not to bother with a home inspection & that he (Gregg
Hart) had told Scott: “I would have not suggested not to have a home inspection."
Mr. Hart
also said: “lots of people in brand new houses don’t require
building inspections…” however, stating what I believe should be
obvious, also as per the Real Estate Council Rules
(Ministerial Order: M417)
General Responsibilities of Licensees, Duties to clients, I hired Scott Fraser to provide me with the best advice he could as per Part 3 section (a): “act in the best interests
of the client” &
(d)
"advise the client to seek independent professional advice on matters outside of
the expertise of the licensee"
which I believe should have resulted in Scott directing me to who could help me - and nothing else.
In
hindsight I tried to think of a situation where it would be appropriate to
dissuade someone from having a home inspection & even in a scenario where
the realtor could say he/she had known a builder for years & that this
individual was well known for doing good work – even in this scenario it would
still be appropriate, make that (in my opinion) essential, for the realtor to
say: “but as your realtor I must still recommend that you get a home inspection
done.”
Ultimately
I wish that I had not hired Scott Fraser & I would never enlist his
services again.
I will note here in closing; any attempt made to have me remove this blog (which is 100% truthful) will be rebuffed, any threats of legal action will be enthusiastically challenged in court & any relevant correspondence sent my way will be published here for all to see.
Closing recommendation for anyone looking for a new home: the main, overriding reason for writing this blog was for it to serve as a warning to others. My advice to you is never count on new home warranty to supplement the need for you to do your homework & purchase a quality home. My experience with home warranty has not been great, it has in fact been a highly stressful, time consuming headache. Also home warranty is short term & one day in the not so distant future you will be left with no warranty at which point the only thing standing between you & a mountain of bills & grief is a well constructed home. And if your realtor tells you not to bother with having a home inspection done my advice to you is fire him/her on the spot & find a new realtor, one who will genuinely look after your best interest.
Closing recommendation for anyone looking for a new home: the main, overriding reason for writing this blog was for it to serve as a warning to others. My advice to you is never count on new home warranty to supplement the need for you to do your homework & purchase a quality home. My experience with home warranty has not been great, it has in fact been a highly stressful, time consuming headache. Also home warranty is short term & one day in the not so distant future you will be left with no warranty at which point the only thing standing between you & a mountain of bills & grief is a well constructed home. And if your realtor tells you not to bother with having a home inspection done my advice to you is fire him/her on the spot & find a new realtor, one who will genuinely look after your best interest.
No comments:
Post a Comment